1. Sustainability targets: Develop clear quantified sector targets based on science and human development commitments.
2. Alternatives: Identify and test alternative, radically more efficient approaches and scale up these up based on evidence.
3. Integration: Rapidly integrate effective approaches to practice.
4. Capability: Build capabilities to embed and make the achievement of sustainability easier in the long term.
5. Technology: Only use technologies that support sustainability; eliminate technologies that do not.
6. People: Make sustainable behaviour the default – ease, motivation, organisational structures, incentives and penalties.
From my keynote title ‘Smart and Sustainable Built Environments in a Changing World’ in Cape Town in October 2018